I use an all-purpose degreaser cleaner I buy at a janitorial supply store. I dilute it with water in a spray bottle. The solution is hydrogen-peroxide based with citrus oils and other ingredients. It is a green product.
Today I’m in a client’s home, and she asks me about the mold in a particular shower downstairs. I told her I’d try my all-purpose cleaner that has hydrogen-peroxide in it undiluted. This worked really well on another client’s shower tiles.
She also told me that she had attempted elbow grease and bleach, and for those of you who are too young to know what elbow grease is I’ll tell you. It’s also known as hard work, muscle or hustle. You are engaged in scrubbing real hard. Now you know.
My client was delighted with what my “muscle” and hydrogen-peroxide did, but I did tell her that I could have spent another hour scrubbing, but of course I didn’t want to bill her for that because it would not have looked any different. It was improved, but it’s probably going to take some new grout and mildew resistant paint on the ceiling.
Mildew seems to be an age old problem across this city, and I’m sure every other city. Weekly cleanings are probably in order for this problem, and also give undiluted hydrogen-peroxide a chance to penetrate the mildew before you scrub it. Use a non-scratch pad on shower tiles and ceilings, and if the problem persists I’d suggest re-caulking the tiles, and paint over that 1972 paint with Benjamin Moore from Ace Hardware paint that is mildew resistant.
Let me know how it goes, and happy scrubbing.